8.08.2009

Opposites Unite to Fight the Power



This picture is from a grave in New Orleans. I took the photo when I went down there during Spring Break 2009. I like the juxtaposition of an every day object (crayons) with a morbid rarity (the small animal bone). It is an uncomfortable marring of two different objects and is beautiful.

For me this photo gets at something deeper. It is an example of breaking the mold; an alternative approach to a life moment. It is not a normal grave and refuses to fit society's mold of how to express sorrow and a belief in an afterlife. Thus, I like it and respect its courage. Keep it up voodoo grave and voodoo followers.

1 comment:

  1. At first glance this picture looks ordinary, but after looking at it with a more critical eye I can see the symbolism and creatvity! Keep it up! Look forward to seeing your next picture.

    ReplyDelete